Tuesday, October 7, 2008

A roadtrip


Last week, Owen and I loaded up the car and drove to visit our friends Megan and Josh and their new baby Keatin (7 weeks old) in Ames, IA. We left Tuesday morning and made it in about 7 hrs. I guess it is normally a 5-6 hr drive, but considering, Owen did great and I felt like we made pretty good time! The furthest Owen and I had ever driven alone to date was to St. Louis.
After we arrived, we had dinner and caught up. I put a very tired Owen to bed in Keatin's pack 'n play. Would you believe that he climbed out?! He was getting pretty mad in our bedroom and after a few minutes I went to check on him and found him trying to open the door! I could not believe it! He refused to stay in that pack 'n play so, the two of us hit the sack early and he thrashed and laid all over me all night long. The next morning we got moving (after a couple of cups of coffee!) and made it out of the house in time for lunch. We ate at a great bbq resturant (which is where Owen had fun checking out this carving of a Native American.) Afterwards, we got a tour of downtown Ames. It is such a cute college town! After a little shopping, we hit the park.
Owen loved this alligator...

(He was being gentle, I swear! He really liked checking Keatin out!)
After a long day, we ordered pizza and watched the Cubs game. Owen was pretty crabby by this point, so I put him to bed pretty early and he didn't stir until I woke him up 13 hours later (thank goodness!!! I was wondering how we were going to make it home!) We went to the mall with Megan and Keatin and did a little shopping and let Owen play at the playground while Keatin had a bottle. Megan even let me feed her while she played with Owen. Keatin is such a cutie! It was so nice to hold a tiny, snuggly, warm baby! I love my Owen so much, but at almost 19 months, he is quite the "big boy." We tired him out pretty well and had lunch before we loaded up to head back to Chicago. On the way home, he was such an angel! He took a great nap and watched a couple of movies. He didn't even get the slightest bit crabby until we got to Aroura, IL (about an hour from home) and it was a little past his dinner. We had so much fun and it was great to catch up with our friends!
Thanks so much to Megan, Josh, Keatin, and Crimson (the dog) for their hospitality. Come visit anytime!

0 comments: